Andy & Pete complete Trans-Pennine Challenge

DAC athletes Andy Lilley and Pete Andrews took on, and completed  the 100km / 63 mile ”Trans-Pennine Challenge” last weekend, with neither of them having ever done even a half marathon previously. The “Challenge” entailed running from Stockport to Sheffield, via Penistone and Barnsley across some of the steepest terrain in England, which rose some 1300 metres from the start to its highest point in the run.

Both athletes were motivated by running for their nominated charities:-

Andy Lilley              Alzheimer’s Society            (

Alzheimer’s Society is the leading UK care and research charity for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, their families and carers.

Pete Andrews             Asthma UK.       (

Asthma UK is the charity dedicated to improving the health and well-being of the 5.4 million people in the UK whose lives are affected by asthma.

The run started at 6.45am in Stockport, which meant a 4am journey from Doncaster for Andy, in order to register and warm up. Pete had travelled over the previous night, and camped close to the start. Approximately 150 runners started the challenge. Both were keen and excited at the start, but knew that they faced an uphill challenge, LITERALLY!!.  It was predominantly uphill for most of the early stages, ascending  the Westerly side of the Pennines, the backbone of the UK, along disused railway lines and walkers trails. There were regular watering holes, and places to stop for food every 25km, but neither athlete was keen to stop for too long for fear of stiffening up.

They lost touch with each other at one of these stops, around half way, so they carried on separately. Andy twisted his knee shortly afterwards and was advised to drop out, but he was determined to complete the run. Despite very blustery and often wet conditions, both athletes battled on. As night descended they passed the 75km post, now just running on determination to reach the finish line, knowing the worst of the course was behind them.

Andy finally entered the Don Valley Stadium around 10.30pm, some 15¾ hours after starting, having had to walk the last few miles because of his twisted knee. Pete arrived around 30 minutes later, totally exhausted, but, like Andy, having immense pride in what had been achieved.


So far they have raised almost £750 in total for their combined charities. They put themselves to the absolute limit for their causes, and thank everyone who has made donations to date, making it worth the effort. If you would still like to make a donation please log on to the above sites and make your pledge (don’t forget to tick the gift aid box!!).

WELL DONE ANDY AND PETE!! Magnificent work!

Dave Lilley